Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Organized Parent 8 Tips For Getting Your Growing Familys Act Together

Writen by Jennifer Hull

One child is a relationship. Raising two or more is a small business. To stay sane as the family grows, you need to organize and plan effectively.

What follows are 8 tips for keeping family life on track as school events, pediatrician appointments and errands multiply.

*Keep a "Waiting For" file. My file currently contains: birthday invitations responded to, information on my girls' upcoming dance recital, and receipts for uniforms on order. Without this file, these papers would be on my desk.

*Read the school newsletter. Skip the newsletter and the school gods will get you. Your kid will arrive in uniform on costume day. You'll find out about the big pilgrim event after the turkey's been roasted. Note newsletter events - then look for them to change in the next newsletter.

*Get an electronic organizer. As the family grows, so do the number of regularly scheduled events. Kids' activities, PTA meetings - why record these by hand each week when you can program them to repeat? The best gift I got preparing for my second child was a Palm organizer.

*Keep spring open. Once the kids start school, May and June are as busy as December. Schedule a business trip during the last month of school and you risk missing an important event. Keep your calendar as clear as possible during this time.

*Create an inbox for your mate. You swear you left it on the counter for him. He hasn't seen it. Avoid conflict by giving your spouse an inbox. Put the roofing estimate job in the box and place flowers on the counter.

*Meet with your spouse. Plans made in passing don't always register. Men are lousy at multitasking. Women get overwhelmed at home. Sit down and compare calendars. Start by scheduling date night.

*Consider birthday parties optional. The more kids you have, the more invitations you get. Pass on those that don't fit your schedule. But RSVP so the busy birthday parent can plan.

*Preserve free time. My favorite days with my girls are the unscheduled ones. Set aside time to just hang out together. It's as important as anything else you'll do.

(c) 2006 Jennifer Bingham Hull. Reprint rights granted as long as entire article is published, including resource box and its live links.

Jennifer Bingham Hull is an award-winning author and mother of two. Her book, Beyond One: Growing a Family and Getting a Life, looks at life after the second child. Jennifer's articles have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Parenting, Working Mother and many other publications. Visit http://www.growingafamily.com/ where you can contact her to receive this "Life Beyond One" column regularly and sign up for her free newsletter.

3 comments:

CouponOutlet said...

Your article is very nicely written and the message is clear ! thank you for sharing this information.

buy logo custom said...

Very Nice Post, I took in a great deal through it. Much obliged for posting.............
Logo Design

Emil Thomos said...

I reached out t For Logo Design during a critical time when my online business, MiBakery, was just starting to take off. I was on a tight budget and couldn’t spend too much on a new logo, but I wanted something that would boost my business and differentiate it from the regular crowd. Someone recommended this website to me and that’s how I reached out to them and told them about my situation. One of their designers, Michael, was very patient and understanding and recommended me one of their logo designs packages that was affordable for me. The final logo design was delivered to me within a week and was a custom, professional logo design that was creative and well suited to my business. Thanks a lot for all your hard work, guys!
logo design service