Friday, December 19, 2008

Academy At Ivy Ridge Everyone Deserves Another Shot

Writen by Keith Allen

Someone once told me that the Program at Academy at Ivy Ridge is like basketball practice. They said life is the basketball game and practice provides time to prepare for that game. During practice we learn rules, new plays, new strategies, consequences and to love the game. The most important lessons taught in practice are to play our hardest and to be the best we can be. We all need to remember to stop and think before rushing through practice so we wonʼt miss something valuable and to pay close attention; otherwise, the game can be very confusing.

When our students decide to apply the concept of basketball practice to their program it seems to assist them in focusing on themselves and realizing the benefits of teamwork. They look in a whole new light at values, standards, expectations and dealing with issues. They also experience some of lifeʼs most important facts: their parents will always be their best friends and greatest advocates; their family will always believe in them and never loose faith, never give up no matter how rough things get; they always will have their familyʼs unconditional love.

While working at Ivy Ridge as a Parent Coordinator, relating to parents and students has been a constant reminder that I have been blessed with a wonderful family I can seek out when I need someone. I have come to realize that my mother has always been my best friend and I can always count on her, that I do indeed have my familyʼs unconditional love to support me through good times and bad. At work, I also have an extended family that I have come to count on. At Ivy Ridge, I get the opportunity to practice every day for the big game and team up with others who also practice, who put their heart and soul into learning everything they need to learn in order to play the game well. I love this game and support others who play because I believe everyone deserves another shot, to have an opportunity to play the game to their fullest potential. I enjoy being part of the team and invite you to join.

Academy at Ivy Ridge

Parenting Troubled Teens - Help and tips for parents with troubled and struggling teens.

0 comments: