Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thinking Forward

Writen by Marsha Maung

Sometimes it appears as though there isn't any point in cleaning up the house because the moment you're done picking the things up, cleaning, mopping and sweeping, the kids are going to do their thing and everything's going back to…being a mess! And after spending a considerable amount of time mulling in the kitchen cooking up a storm, all you get is 'yuck' or 'I don't want to eat'. And just when you thought you could spend a couple of hours relaxing in the tub with a book you've started reading AGES ago, the kids are fighting and tearing each others' hair out.

You sit there and wonder…gosh, is this what I bargained for? Is this what motherhood is all about?

I voiced my concern to a close friend whom I knew wouldn't think I was looney or a bad mother and this is what she said to me, "Appreciate the noise and the ruckus that they create now because there will come a time when YOU have to make a whole lot of noise for them to notice you. It's far off in the future…but the time will eventually come".

What she said struck a chord in me (although I sniggered in her face, rolled my eyes skyward and gave her a 'yeah, right' look) and I came home thinking. The kids were out in the in-laws' place, so, the house was pretty quiet then. There was nary a sound to be heard throughout my small but comfy condo. The only sound that I could hear was the sound of the fan spinning madly and my keyboard.

Sitting there, I imagined what it would be like to live in a home like this for the last 10, 20…or 30 years of my life. What an unbelievably scary thought? No kids screaming and knocking things over? No children to come complaining to you about how the other siblings have snatched his or her toy? No kids whining and pleading about that extra cookie before bedtime? What would life be like then?

It's when we do this type of forward thinking that we will appreciate the kind of noise that is here in the home now. We may define the noise that they make as 'stress' or 'annoying' but at the end of the day, it's precisely this type of noise that we will one day miss.

So, when you start thinking 'Is this what I bargained for? Is this what motherhood is all about', think forward and you'll start wishing that the day will never come.

Marsha Maung is a freelance graphic designer and copy writer who works from her home in Selangor, Malaysia. She loves nothing more than blowing bubbles in the park with her 2 kids, Joshua and Jared. She designs apparel and premium items at http://www.allmomstuff.com and is the author of "Raising little magicians", and the popular "The Lance in freelancing". More information can be found at http://www.marshamaung.com

0 comments: