Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wondering Minds Want To Know

Writen by Shannon Miller

Being a mother of 5 children, ranging in age from 5 to 15 years, our household could get out of hand really quick. Before I had put my suggestions into play myself, some days were unreal what my children would argue or fight over. I would like to share suggestions that will help keep children's wondering minds from making the household utter disaster like mine once was.

• Try your best to get a routine going in your home. Stick as close as you can to that routine. I know that sometimes things come up like an unexpected guest comes over, but try to stay with the routine. This is the most important one.

• When your children are in school or preschool by the time they arrive home they are usually very tired. I always try to have a healthy snack waiting for them and it gives the child a chance to unwind from the days events.

• Give each child a chance to tell you about their day. Let them explain to you what all they did at school and always ask questions. This also lets the child know that you are interested in what they have to say. It makes the child feel important that mom or dad would ask questions that only he/she can answer.

• Give your child a chance to show you their work or crafts that they had made at school. I have found in my children that The more proud I act over their work they always try harder to do their best. They feel that if they can make mom and dad proud they will try their best each and every time.

• Have a special project for you and your children to do together a few nights a week. Even have them help out in the kitchen with some minor supper duties. Anything that allows them to be involved with you the parent.

I know that all these things seem like a lot but really each one only takes a few minutes. The main thing that I have found is that getting a routine and staying as close to it as I can keeps my children's minds from wondering on fighting and arguing. Sticking with the routine keeps your child's mind on the routine and they know what is suppose to happen next and therefore is focused on the next task. I still have the occasional day that will go astray. That one day is better than having everyday go wrong. I hope these few suggestions will help bring a little more peace into your life.

Shannon Miller is the mom of 5 children. Stop by her sites and share in some of her experiences as a parent. http://www.parentingfroma-z.com and http://www.asthmainfosite.com

0 comments: